Another significant Island map, created by John MacGregor (1797-1857) as part of his two volume book British America appeared in 1832. It begins to show the progress of development of the interior of the Island. New places are shown on the map including: Mount Stewart, St. Andrews, Souris, Gaspereaux, Cambridge Mills, White Sands, Naufrage Point, Brackley Point, Indian River, Little York, and Tignish. Two Acadian villages are also identified near Cape Egmont.
John MacGregor Map - 1832
MacGregor had published an earlier volume in 1828 called: Historical and Descriptive Sketches of the Maritime Colonies in British America. Here he outlined the various Island communities he would later illustrate on his map. Indeed, unlike many cartographers of the Island in the past, MacGregor had actually lived on the Island for a period of time even serving in the position of High Sheriff, so he was likely familiar with many of the places he highlighted on his map.
<>In 1851, the same year the colony received Responsible Government, the first map to be developed and printed in Prince Edward Island appeared. Created by surveyor and land agent, Henry J. Cundall, the map was published in Charlottetown by George T. Haszard.
In 1852, surveyor general, George Wright created a similar map which also drew heavily on the work of Island hydrographer, Admiral Bayfield. This map was later updated in 1874 by Henry J. Cundall.
Cundall Map of 1874 was an updated version of Wright's 1852 map